Thursday, March 26, 2009

Black Beans & Rice

Canned black beans (Some beans are blacker and thicker than others) If your beans seem to have a little extra liquid in them, you can drain them. I usually make 4 cans for my guys and I may leave one of them undrained, because it will kind of boil out and it is nice to have the extra liquid)

Pour them in a sauce pan. Add a jar of salsa. I usually use about 3/4 of a jar of Pace Picante Sauce. (Mild)
However. you could use any kind of salsa. In fact, last time I used a whole jar of Tostidos salsa, because that jar is a little smaller. Just guess. You just want to give those beans a little kick and flavor.

By the way, my secret to flavoring my vegetable soup, which I think is pretty good (a jar of salsa...nothing else.)

Then cook your rice, while those babies are simmering and you are ready to eat.

I like to give them some bread, or biscuits, fruit, or cold veggies....make the whole meal simple.

I serve the beans and rice with:
sour cream
soy sauce...we love soy sauce....I know, I know sodium

(Complements of Chris O'Boyle)

No comments: