Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Beef-a-Roni

This is the homemade version of the boxed stuff. Frugal doesn't have to mean unhealthy; I use lean ground beef and multigrain pasta in this recipe. I don't buy the leanest meat (96/4) unless it is on sale. 93/7 is just fine with me! You could also use less cheese or lower fat cheese if you wish.

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups elbow pasta
1 lb. cheddar cheese, grated

1. Cook beef and onion together until beef is cooked through.
2. Add tomatoes, salt to taste and sugar. I like to puree my tomatoes first for a smoother sauce.
3. Cook over Med. heat 20 minutes.
4. While cooking beef/tomatoes mixture, cook pasta according to directions.
5. Drain pasta and add to beef.
6. In a greased baking dish add half noodles/beef.
7. Top with half of cheese. Repeat layers.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

I usually serve this with something green: broccoli, green beans or salad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't laugh but my man is a Hamburger Helper fan so this would be a way to serve it to him w/out feeling guilty. :) BTW, CONGRATULATIONS on your very 1st blog post and WAY to take the plunge!